Wednesday, October 3, 2007

America - Truth or Consequences?

Most of us listen to some news and some talk radio. It's all around us, how can we not tune in? We hear so much about what our elected officials are saying about other people. Quite frankly, we hear very little (of substance) about how they're going to make our lives better and safer. I'm fed up, as I'm sure most of you are with those who speak ill of others so that the whole world will hear them. My father taught me years ago to "not say bad things about others" for 2 reasons; 1.) It's disrespectful and, 2.) It demeans who you are. I may be an idealist but, so what! I grew up in an America where children had respect for their elders, there was honor among men at all levels of society, and you just simply didn't lie. Our society lived by God's laws , not man's laws. When I hear Congress men and women speaking half truths on an issue, I wonder why they would do that, and then it hits me - personal gain, that's why! I really wonder where we're headed? If all of our elected officials would just speak the truth (win or lose), America would truly be free!

2 comments:

  1. I'm under the impression that they are speaking the truth, just as they see it. I say it's not only that they're lying, it's that they think YOU'RE lying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know where UJ is coming from. All of us, it seems, are so caught up in our worldview that the end justifies the means. That is, I hear talk show hosts make statements that are clearly not factual, but the statements they make support a worldview that they believe is true. Thus they are comfortable with making the non-factual statement because it supports a supposed truth. Does that make sense? :-)

    ReplyDelete