Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day is about what?

As I was driving this morning to take my wife out for breakfast, I was thinking about this day and its meaning.  I was wondering how many of us ever think about the reason we have this day in America in early September, set aside for a holiday of this type.

So, I thought I would test my flash of historic brilliance on my unsuspecting wife.
Now this is a woman who went back to college in her forties and became a Phi Theta Kappa. Yet, the one thing I know about her is she doesn't care much for History.  I wasn't being devious, well it wasn't my intent anyway. I turned to her, as she was driving, and said, "honey, what do you think this day is about"?  Now, just so you'll have some context on who my wife is and why she would answer the way she did, I'll share this about her - Christian, mother, wife, excellent chef, former swimwear model and skydiver, struggling with that very ugly disease called type 2 diabetes, a very caring woman who will cry for those in need, especially the helpless and innocent. Okay, so now you have a sense of the person sitting next to me who I've spent the last 23 years loving, trying to understand, and even making peace with.

This is a woman who I know to have one of the quickest wits I've ever encountered. If there's ever any angry or mean people around spewing hateful stuff - she's right there with some witty comment that always amazes me and usually diffuses the situation. Her little wisdoms are always on target and right now, where most of us can only think of them later.

Without hesitation and not even a second to consider the reality of my question she responded; "its about all those women in labor".

We laughed hysterically for 5 minutes!

God bless all Americans who have labored to make this country great - especially the women who have labored profusely to make the American babies who grow up to be great Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment